How to successfully stop smoking with hypnotherapy
Helping clients to stop smoking is something that I deal with on a regular basis and is something that hypnotherapists are renowned for dealing with. Smoking can be a difficult habit to break for some but most of my clients go away and never have another cigarette again. I’ve had a lot of feedback from my clients and I have found a few similarities between cases where my clients are successful and similarities between my clients being unsuccessful so I have put together 10 top tips for you to be successful in quitting smoking once and for all.
I recommend that these tips be used alongside seeing your hypnotherapist, but these are all very practical tips for you to use whether you are using hypnotherapy or not.
10 Top Tips to successfully stop smoking.
- Change Your Routine – Smoking is a habit and just like any habit you get into a routine. Some clients will have a cigarette after their dinner or with their cup of tea in the morning. So I always advise and recommend to my clients that they change their routine so they can break the associations with smoking – or you will end up feeling like something is missing. So if a client gets up and has a coffee and a cigarette then instead they can get dressed before making their coffee. Sometimes the simplest of changes can help you get out of that auto-pilot mode and break those associations.
- Reinforce the Therapy – I will always give my clients a CD to listen to which is aimed to reinforce what we have done in the sessions. I encourage clients to listen to their CD’s as much as possible to begin with and ease off as time goes on. There is also a technique I teach my clients called the Dial to help manage their cravings. Imagine a dial in your mind with the numbers one to five on it and this is your craving dial. 1 represents no cravings and 5 is the worst cravings you could possibly have, if your dial is towards a 5 then practice turning it down. This is a great technique to use throughout the day when you can’t listen to your CDs and is also very practical and easy to do, but remember you need to take your time with this and focus and commit to the dial, really making sure that you feel the cravings disappear. TOP TIP – you can also have a separate dial for motivation and practice building up your motivation if you feel that will be helpful
- Remember – You have to keep two things very firmly registered in your mind the first one is remembering why you want to be a non-smoker which is different for everyone, it could be financial reasons, health or not wanting to set a bad example for those around you – whatever your motivation is keep that in your mind and tell yourself why you have made such an important decision. Also remember that you are one puff and one cigarette away from being back to square one especially when you have come so far and achieved so much.
- Set Yourself Rewards and Targets – This is a great way to keep the motivation up – write it in a diary of calendar or even do a chart to monitor your progress and when you get to 1 week, 1 month, 50 days, 100 days etc. then reward yourself for reaching that target. Whatever will get you motivated to get there – whether it’s a new outfit you have been eyeing up or a nice meal out with friends or family. You could even increase the rewards as you go so the treats only get better – really giving you something to aim for!
- Get Rid Of Your Cigarettes – This may sound very simple – however you would be surprised at how many clients have come back saying they failed because they delved into the pack of cigarettes in their car or the kitchen cupboard. If you keep cigarettes around you then you are setting yourself up to fail so get rid of the temptation and don’t make it harder for yourself. If friends or family members smoke around you then try to stay away from It for a while and ask them to keep packets out of sight so you don’t see them lying around!
BONUS TIP – I also teach a lot of my clients self-hypnosis which is very easy to do and is a great way to give yourself lots of positive suggestions either at the beginning of the day to set yourself off on a great start to the day or at the end of the day where you can really praise yourself for having a smoke-free day. This is also a great way to really build up your motivation and take the time to visualise yourself continuing your success as a non-smoker.
I hope you have found these tips to be very useful and practical to use. If you would like to stop smoking then please get in touch and find out how hypnotherapy can help you quit for good.
I am now doing free 30 minute consultations either via skype or phone which is a great opportunity for you to ask all the questions you need to ask and find out more about what hypnotherapy can do to help. So please use the details below to get in contact and book in for your consultation.
BONUS HYPNOTHERAPY RECORDING!
we recommend these are used alongside hypnotherapy but these can be a great way to try hypnotherapy in the comfort of your own home!